Moving on – to Tishomingo, MS and Trip to Urgent Care

4/16/13 Tuesday at Tishomingo, MS ( Tishomingo State Park)

Out of the park before 9 am, with a lucky stop at Okolona, MS (on US Alt. 45) for fuel and a potty break. This was lucky because we were thinking we’d need to pull into a Kroger in Tupelo, or a Texaco near the Trace, for our fuel and it’s uncomfortable not knowing how our rig would fit. Not just lucky, of course, because it was John’s good eye that spotted this place with a good price for diesel ($3.659/gal) and easy access for trucks. In fact we met a great Mississippi trucker at the pump who said he always uses that station for fuel. Since we’d been over much of the Trace, we took a more direct route from Legion State Park on 4 lane highways until Tupelo, where we got on the Trace until Tishomingo (named after a medicine man) Park. Well, actually, we drove past the park because both our GPS’s indicated the entrance was beyond where we saw the Park sign, but we were going too fast to stop and turn. After 3 miles we realized the GPS’s were just plain wrong. My amazing guy then spotted an exit off the Trace to another highway and turned there. I’m freaking out because I don’t want to be lost wandering some other highway, but he just did a U turn, over grass, onto the part that was entering the Trace from that highway. Yay! The moral of that story: right after the sign for Tishomingo (when heading North on the Trace) there will be a sign for Tishomingo State Park, where you need to turn really soon.

Finally there by noon, set up by 1 pm, then lunch. Now I needed to return a call from Group Health.

They had called while we were on route and the call kept getting dropped. I had emailed my doctor information regarding my fainting spell yesterday, asking if my lip would heal naturally or if I should do something for it. So now, after lunch, I called them and got through. In the end, the nurse said they wanted me to go to urgent care. I, then they, researched Group Health recommended urgent cares nearby but nothing showed up, so I looked some up with Google, took down their addresses and off we went. 45 minutes later (at this point I’m so tired from driving -I know John is doing all the driving- that I just want to lie down), the GPS has led us to a dead end. As we struggled to figure where we might find one, John spotted Family Clinic. We asked them where to find an Urgent Care office and they directed us. Alleluia!

North Mississippi Medical Clinic Inc has an Urgent Care at Barne’s Crossing Mall. We got there about 3:50 pm. It took until 4:55 pm when I was called into an exam room. Dr. Brown was young and cute (and not African American, as I’d expected). He determined that my lip will heal fine naturally, then gave me prescriptions for Lidocaine (to numb my lip) and a mouthwash that would help it heal well.


Meanwhile, just before they called me back to be examined, I had told John to go enjoy Brice’s Crossroads National Battlefield Site while I waited for who knows how long. At 5:30 pm I texted John to let him know I was ready to leave. He didn’t reply, so thinking he wasn’t hearing his phone, I called, then texted later. Finally, he just appeared at the Clinic. He’d been driving back already when I’d called. ( Testy as we both were at that point, he felt I should have realized he didn’t answer P1080868because he was driving and I felt he should have realized I kept calling because I didn’t think he heard his phone. He was so irritated that I’d kept calling. By the way, he felt it wasn’t much more than the one we saw in Tupelo, so we’re very glad we won’t need to drive all those miles back to see it.

Now we got to Kroger’s to buy gas for the car and my prescription mouthwash. I asked John if he’d like to eat out, since he’d been driving so much today, before we went back to the RV (45 minutes away). So we gave “Chick-a-fil” a try. I enjoyed their chicken Caesar salad wrap while John had a spicy chicken sandwich. We’d go there again.

We made it home before it was dark, around 7:30 pm. Another big day.


About Patricia Elser

I've always loved the loose, flowing, transparent look of watercolors, of Chinese paintings and their calligraphy, but alas, no watercolor classes were available when I was in school, so that interest remained buried until my children were grown. Even then, I was afraid that I couldn't really paint, so upon my sister's advice, I actually started to take classes. I signed up for every class available, determined to learn no matter how afraid I was. I came upon a teacher, Stan Miller, who inspired me, who opened the door to success in watercolor. I love to look at beautiful images. I want to capture them forever. All my life, photography was how I gathered images of the beauty I saw. Thanks to all that photography, I enjoy composing pictures, especially up close. Watercolors allow me to add more of me in their translation of that beauty. My paintings reflect my love for music and dance, with their rhythm and flow. I am fascinated by the play of light, so it appears in my pictures as drama for they are filled with darks and lights. Maybe it's the challenge, maybe it's the beauty, but now, when a work comes together, it fills my soul.
This entry was posted in Mississippi, National Parks (NPS) and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Moving on – to Tishomingo, MS and Trip to Urgent Care

  1. Judy says:

    I take it the doc decided your having fainted was not worrisome?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s