6/7/13 Friday at Buchanan, MI (Bear Cave Resort-TT/Mid Atlantic)
Up at 6 am, ready for them to move the RV by 7:30. We both had a better sleep last night, thank heavens.
Our first day here they had the slides both “in” and “out” when they tested them in the rain booth. In fact, we got lots of water puddled on the carpet off the passenger slide and more from the bedroom slide – that had fallen when they brought the wet slides in!! They did tell us that a good way to get that rain water off a slide before bringing it in is to drive forward a bit then stop suddenly. Repeat, driving backwards.
They did realize that the driver’s side was getting wet so they got busy taking off old silicone and re sealing trim between roof and side. Yesterday they took off the radio antenna, to see water flow out of that cavity, plus they were suspicious of the window seal at the end of the trim, so they took the window out and re did that seal and re installed. After spraying that area with a hose for over an hour, more water had seeped in, so they took off some lower trim, finding 2 rusting screws. They re sealed that. We had to stay another night so it could cure and they’ll be spraying with water again this morning. They’re not attempting the bedroom (very expensive to put a “cup” in) or the passenger slide (hard to tell what’s happening), I think mostly because they have piles of people scheduled to come in for repairs Monday – no room for us. They did see a couple of loose, suspicious, screws on the trim of the passenger slide and treated/sealed those, so we’ll see if that helped. They said they’ll water test that side too this morning. It’s okay they’re only doing that one leak (driver’s side) – at $1,000 we need time to build our service/repair savings. It’s in the negative now as it is…
It took until 10 am to test the driver’s side. NO LEAKING! Now another 2 hours to test the passenger side. We’re heading for the Library to finally get my blogs posted.
When we returned for lunch, we found out that they were just beginning the passenger side test, which would take 2 hours. Great. So much for leaving this place early this morning. After lunch (they let us eat in our rig while the techs had their lunch break), around 1:30 pm, we found out that the operations guy had not listed the problem with leaks while passenger slide was in and that’s what they tested for today. Anyway, they did get leakage and would need to charge more if they were to do any more to solve it. We said to go ahead. If it could be resolved, it would be worth it. We needed to stick around so they could apprise us of what they found and ask if wanted them to apply their fixes. So more time in the waiting room. We could have seen the Newmar RV tour, or any number of activities, but so it goes.
In the end, they did more work. The bill came to about $1200. We managed to leave just after 4 pm, arriving at Bear Cave Resort just after 5 pm.
I enjoyed this drive (40 miles) more than any other, I think. The route was familiar now (no worries about what we might run into), short, and lovely with farms. I trusted John’s driving better too.